- A warm welcome to our newest members, Lesley Carson in Hubbards, NS, and Stephanie Moise, who has transferred to Halifax from the Ottawa-Gatineau branch.
- A warm and very appreciative welcome to our new twig co-chair, Heather White. Heather is also a recent newcomer to the twig and has an extensive background in magazine editing. She kindly agreed to step into the role so that Sandy Newton could “retire.” After seven years as coordinator of the former Newfoundland twig and a co-chair of the fledgling Atlantic twig, Sandy is ready for a break. Many thanks to Sandy for her great ideas, enthusiasm and competence!
- Twig website update: The twig website committee (Sue MacLeod, Alex Peace, Molly Rookwood, Patti Simmons and Andrew Wetmore) has engaged the services of Atlantic-based web developer/designer Marsha Amanova of Rising Tide Creative, to begin work on the twig website in January 2022. In light of anticipated changes to Editors Canada’s national website, the work will entail amalgamating information from the NS and NL websites and developing a searchable list of Editors Canada editors in the Atlantic region.
- It was great to virtually share a libation and chit-chat with the dozen or so members who came to the online seasonal social Wednesday, December 8.
- The Wolfville-area members met for lunch on Tuesday, December 14 at Troy restaurant for “pleasant conversation and a modicum of professional development.”
- Back by popular demand! On Friday, January 21, 2022, reps from the Canada Revenue Agency will be reprising their presentation on tax tips for sole proprietors and small businesses. The presentation will be held on Microsoft Teams from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. To RSVP and receive the link to the presentation, e-mail us at email@example.com.
- We’re always looking ahead to planning sessions for 2022, so let us know what you’d like to see and any ideas you have for events and presentations. We aim to have at least one offering per month.
- As of March 1, 2022, membership fees will be increasing, but they are very small increases, ranging from $1 for student affiliates to $11.50 for two-year memberships.
- Members now have free access to the Oxford Reference Online Premium Collection by logging on to the Editors Canada website.
- There is still opportunity to volunteer for the 2022 national conference, May 27–29. This will be an in-person/online hybrid event, with the in-person events taking place in Edmonton. Find out how to get involved.
Has anyone achieved certification or received recognition or published a book? Shoot us an e-mail with announcements to share. We want to hear from you.
Keep an eye on your e-mail (be sure to check your spam folder) and on our Facebook page, Editors Atlantic, for announcements regarding lunches, meetings, presentations, and other goings-on.