Halifax-area editors met virtually via Zoom on May 11, while the Wolfville Editors’ Bunch held their regular monthly lunch (via Zoom) on Wednesday, May 20.
We held our twig annual general meeting via Zoom on Saturday, May 30. It was attended by 12 members, including new member Candida Hadley, who was the lucky winner of the door prize draw: this cute little book-themed coffee mug.
Some highlights of the AGM
• Twig membership stands at 42 members, including five in PEI, seven in New Brunswick, two in Cape Breton, two in Antigonish, five in the Valley and the rest in the Halifax area. We gained nine new members over the past year but lost six.
• Our national rep, Anne Curry, brought us up to date on the status of the National Executive Council (NEC). It’s been a difficult year financially, and twigs and branches were asked to “forgive” some monies owed. This has helped to bring the organization back into balance.
• The financial report indicated the twig is in a healthy position. Margo Grant reported on income and expenses, including analytics on the ad we ran in allNovaScotia.com in February (see Twig Talk – March 2020).
• Jamie Serran is stepping down as twig co-coordinator and Becky Skillin has volunteered to take her place. Many thanks to Jamie for her organizational contributions over the past two years!
• The national conference, which was to have been in Montreal in June, was cancelled because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2021 conference will be in Edmonton.
• Twig member Nicola Aquino is a moderator of The Editors’ Vine, a new initiative by Editors Canada to connect members who face barriers in attending twig or branch meetings. Two meetings with the same theme are held each month (on the first Thursday and the following Saturday) via Zoom. Please contact email@example.com for details.
• Keep an eye on your email (check your spam folder) and on our Facebook page (Editors in the Maritimes) for announcements regarding lunch meetings and other goings-on.
• We’re hoping to get together a twig trivia team for some online competition. Stay tuned!
• Editors Canada is offering a webinar, How to Get Organized and Stay Productive When You Are Your Own Boss, on Saturday, June 16. Check it out here: http://training.editors.ca/upcoming_webinar/how-to-get-organized-and-stay-productive-when-you-are-your-own-boss/
• The Editors Canada national AGM is scheduled for Saturday, June 20 — via Zoom. Members have been/will be emailed login info.