REPORT TO ATLANTIC TWIG MEMBERS • OCTOBER 2021
- Our September presentation by Alan Sheppard, production editor at Goose Lane Editions in Fredericton, was a resounding success.
- Our October event with Deirdre Greene-Lono was totally engrossing. Deirdre spoke about the nature of her work in the 1980s as a researcher and lexicographer with the Oxford English Dictionary, Oxford University Press, and other publications.
- Coming up on Wednesday, November 17, is a presentation by Jenny Higgins, who was recently the Wikipedian-in-residence at the Centre for Newfoundland Studies at Memorial University. 6:30 pm Atlantic time, 7:00 pm NL time. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom link.
- We have no new members this month.
- A lovely cohort of twig members has volunteered to steer the production of a new twig website. MANY, MANY THANKS to Sue MacLeod, Alex Peace, Molly Rookwood, Patti Simmons and Andrew Wetmore.
- And speaking of volunteers, we’re looking for at least one new co-chair to take over from Sandy Newton and Margo Grant, who both need to be handing over their roles to new folks by the end of this year. Molly Rookwood is a star, but even SHE CAN’T DO IT ALONE! Co-chairs from PEI, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland & Labrador would be ideal, of course, but not essential. New members especially will find being a twig co-chair a great networking experience. E-mail us at email@example.com if you’re ready, able, and willing!
It’s great to at last be able to get out and see each other again in real life, at least in Nova Scotia. Six members of the Halifax contingent met on October 5 and the Wolfville Editors’ Bunch got together on October 20. We encourage members from other areas to organize in-person events of their own and we are happy to help with Doodle polls and outreach if needed.
Editors Canada is looking for committee volunteers for the 2022 conference, May 27–29. This annual event is a much-anticipated highlight in EAC calendar. This year’s conference will be an in-person/online hybrid, with the in-person events taking place in Edmonton. Volunteers are required in the following areas: communications, social media, speakers, sponsorship, local experience, vendor fair, volunteer coordination, and website. The time commitment varies but is generally about 5–10 hours per month. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to be involved. It’s a great way to get acquainted with other Editors Canada members across the country.
* * *
We’ll be looking ahead to the winter sessions soon, so let us know your thoughts and any ideas for events and presentations. Shoot us an E-mail with announcements to share at email@example.com. Keep an eye on your E-mail (be sure to check your spam folder) and on our Facebook page, Editors Atlantic, for announcements regarding lunches, meetings, presentations, and other goings-on.
Engage in conversation with other editors on the Facebook pages Editors’ Association of Earth and Business + Professional Development for Editors, as well as Editors/Réviseurs Canada and Editors Canada Student Affiliates. Keep in the loop on the latest national news by subscribing to The Editors’ Weekly, Editors Canada’s official blog.
* * *
Twig Talk is produced by Editors Atlantic, a regional twig of the Editors Association of Canada, for its members. The twig can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.